The City is looking for a part-time building inspector. Please review the information below.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must be able to read and write in English.
- Must be able to pass random drug testing.
- Must have a good driving record.
- Must have current Texas driver’s license.
Desired Experience in:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the building permit, development procedures and ordinance compliance relating to the issuance of permits.
- Assists developers, contractors, architects, engineers, property owners, and others to ensure compliance with the City’s Ordinances and Building Code.
- Performs administrative and technical work while directing permit operations.
- Maintains current knowledge of issues, trends and development in regulatory standards and building code requirements governing the construction industry.
- Attends pre-construction meetings when necessary.
- Ensures all permits comply with zoning
- Reviews and makes recommendations concerning ordinances related to building codes.
Adaptability to Stress:
- Must be able to deal with short notice deadlines.
- Attendance at training/safety programs is mandatory.
- Ability to field questions from others and find information sources while maintaining a calm appearance.
- Must be able to deal with stressful situations while maintaining your composure.
- Provide complete and clear information to contractors and property owners.
- Be able to organize thoughts and communicate clearly both over the phone and in person with citizens requesting information or assistance.
- Ability to greet new people and offer assistance.
- Present a positive image of the office and the city.
- Must be able to work with and present a positive attitude toward the public.
- Maintain good inter/intra office relations.
- Be able to deal with agitated people in a calm and reassuring manner.
Physical Demands / Working Environment
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Environment: Field and construction site environment; travel from site to site; work around traffic and heavy equipment, ladders, on slippery or uneven surfaces; exposure to noise and weather conditions
- Physical: must be able to stand or walk for prolonged periods of time; operate motorized vehicles and equipment:
- Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction; vision sufficient to read printed documents and to operate equipment
- Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction
Pay Depends on Experience